Frequently Asked Questions
Can you explain workers’ compensation to me?
The South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act allows workers to receive medical care and financial benefits without having to prove fault when injured on the job.
After missing fourteen days of work, workers can receive two-thirds of their average salary. Medical expenses, if approved, are paid in full.
What are the benefits of workers’ compensation?
- Paid medical expenses
- Partial reimbursement for lost wages
- Disability compensation
- Mileage for traveling to and from your treating physician (if more than 10 miles round trip).
Am I eligible for workers’ compensation?
To qualify for workers’ compensation benefits you must meet the following criteria:
- Your employer must have four employees.
- The injury must have occurred while you were working.
- When the injury occurred, all safety precautions required by your employer were used, and were not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- You were treated by a doctor who was chosen or approved by your employer.